Colonel Devin R. Pepper is the commander of the 460th Space Wing, Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado. The wing delivers persistent global infrared surveillance, theater and strategic missile warning, and battlespace awareness for combatant commanders and national leadership. In addition to its global responsibilities, the wing hosts 95 tenant organizations and over 14,000 people on the Buckley Air Force Base installation.
Colonel Pepper enlisted in the USAF in 1989 and received his commission through the Officer Training School in 1996. He has served in various positions at the wing, numbered air force, and major command levels. He is a graduate of the United States Air Force Weapons School at Nellis AFB, NV and served as the initial cadre which stood up Air Force Global Strike Command, the Air Force’s first major command in nearly thirty years. He commanded the Air Force Element Operations Squadron at Royal Air Force Menwith Hill, England and was Deputy Commander, 21st Operations Group, 21st Space Wing, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. Prior to his current assignment, he was Chief, Space and Missile Defense Division (J31), Headquarters United States Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. Colonel Pepper is a master space operator and served as a missile launch officer for the Minuteman III Intercontinental Ballistic Missile weapon system. He is married to the former Alicia Montoya of Albuquerque, New Mexico. They have two children, Madilyn (10) and Lukas (9).
1995 Bachelor of Science in Psychology, University of Maryland University College, College Park, MD.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL.
2002 Air Force Strategic Policy Intern, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
2002 Masters of Arts certificate in Organizational Behavior and Leadership, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Masters of Business Administration, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL.
2003 United States Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Space Superiority Squadron, Nellis AFB, NV.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, AL., by correspondence
2010 Space 300, National Security Space Institute, Colorado Springs, CO.
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, AL., by correspondence
2015 Masters of National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft McNair, Washington, D.C.
2018 Middle East and South Asia Course, Alan L. Freed Associates, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
1. May 1996 – August 1996, student, Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, AL.
2. August 1996 – April 1997, student, Undergraduate Space and Missile Training and Initial Qualification Training, Minuteman III Rapid Execution and Combat Targeting (REACT), Vandenberg AFB, CA.
3. April 1997 – February 1998, Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander, 740th Missile Squadron, Minot AFB, ND.
4. February 1998 - January 1999, Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander Evaluator, 91st Operations Group, Minot AFB, ND.
5. February 1999 – November 1999, Missile Combat Crew Commander, 740th Missile Squadron, Minot AFB, ND.
6. November 1999 – July 2001, Missile Combat Crew Commander Instructor, Section Chief and Senior Crew Operations Instructor, 91st Operations Support Squadron, Minot AFB, ND.
7. August 2001 – June 2002, Executive Officer to the Wing Commander, 91st Space Wing, Minot AFB, ND.
8. June 2002 – June 2003, Air Force Strategic Policy Intern with duties in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Equal Opportunity, and Office of the Deputy Secretary of Defense, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. January 2004 – February 2005, Chief, Offensive Counter-Information, 7th Information Warfare Flight, Osan AB, Republic of Korea.
10. February 2005 – September 2007, Program Manager, Advanced Strike Requirements Branch, Advanced Programs Division, Directorate of Requirements, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, VA.
11. September 2007 – August 2009, Executive Officer to the Commander, Eighth Air Force, Barksdale AFB, LA.
12. September 2009 – June 2011, Deputy Chief, later Chief, Weapons, Tactics and Electronic Warfare Branch, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, LA.
13. June 2011 – June 2013, Commander, Air Force Element Operations Squadron, Royal Air Force Menwith Hill, England.
14. June 2013 – July 2014, Deputy Commander, 21st Operations Group, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, CO.
15. August 2014 – June 2015, student, National War College, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington D.C.
16. July 2015 – June 2016, Chief, Global Intelligence Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Future Capabilities Branch (J841), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, NE.
17. June 2016 – May 2017, Chief, Space and Missile Defense Division (J31), Headquarters United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, NE.
18. May 2017 – May 2019, Commander, 21st Operations Group, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, CO.
19. May 2019 – Present, Commander, 460th Space Wing, Buckley AFB, CO.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. Chief, Global Intelligence Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Future Capabilities Branch (J841), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, NE as a Lieutenant Colonel
2. Chief, Space and Missile Defense Division (J31), Headquarters United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, NE. as a Colonel.
Master Space Badge
Senior Missile Operator Badge
Senior Command and Control Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Navy Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Colonel Dick Scobee Leadership Award, Officer Training School (1996)
Distinguished Graduate, Minuteman III (REACT) Initial Qualification Training (1997)
Air Force Space Command Instructor/Evaluator of the Year Award (2000)
Air Force Space Command Crewmember Excellence Award (2001)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, 9 August 1996
First Lieutenant, 9 August 1998
Captain, 9 August 2000
Major, 1 August 2006
Lieutenant Colonel, 1 December 2010
Colonel, 30 June 2016 (frocked); 1 April 2017 (official)
(Current as of December 2018)